Question
Posted by: Michelle | 2003/01/29

Panic Attack

I have been diagnosed by 3 doctors that I get panic attackes, I get pines and needles in my
arms and neck and I feel like I am choking, yesterday I experiences something even wearder
I got the pins and needles in my head. Is this part of the panic attacks or do you think I must consult an specialist.

Michelle, it might be a panic attack, but it might also be something else like a nerve being pinched in your neck. The best would be to get a second opinion from a good neurologist and see what he says. If it is due to panic attacks and hyperventilation, he will tell you so and give you the correct treatment. Good luck.

2
Posted by: lolo | 2003/01/29

I HAVE HAD PANIC ATTACKS FOR A LONG TIME AND I GET ALL THE SYMPTOMS YOU MENTIONED AS WELL AS OTHERS. i HAVE LEARNED TO CONTROL THEM MORE EFFECIENTLY BY TAKING DEEP BREATHS FROM YOUR ABDOMEN AND NOT YOUR CHEST (WHEN YOU BREATH IN LET YOUR STOMACH RISE AND WHEN YOU BREATH OUT LET YOUR STOMACH GO IN. TRY NOT TO LET YOUR CHEST RISE WHEN YOU INHALE AS THIS CAUSES SHALLOW BREATHING)

TRY AND NOT WORRY BECAUSE A PANIC ATTACK WILL NEVER KILL YOU ITS JUST THAT YOUR BODY IS REACTING TO STRESS. I USED TO PANIC AND NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD EVER COME RIGHT BUT I DID THANKS TO UNDERSTANDING DOCTORS AND FAMILY. I HAD MANY TESTS AND THOUGHT I WAS SICK OR GOING CRAZY SO IF YOU FEEL LIKE GOING TO A SPECIALIST TO EASE YOUR MIND THEN GO BUT I DOUBT YOU ARE ILL.

IF YOU WANT MORE INFORMATION ON HOW TO HELP CONTROL THESE PANIC ATTACKS I WOULD GLADLY HELP YOU. JUST CONTACT ME ON MY EMAIL.

GOOD LUCK
LORNA

Reply to lolo
Posted by: empathetic | 2003/01/29

Hello Michelle, when you have a panic attack and you feel as though you are choking, you are actually also restricting your own breathing. This becomes overbreathing resulting in too much carbon dioxide leaving the brain etc. This causes the tingling or pins and needles in the extremeties, etc. Head, hands and feet. Just try and relax when you feel these symptoms coming on, just try and take a deep breath and tell yourself that everything is ok. Don't worry about it as nothing bad will happen to you. Just try and stay calm and focus on something else, the feeling will pass and everything will be fine. Are you under any stress or worry at the moment?

Reply to empathetic