Posted by: Anon | 2008/06/16

Panic and worry

Last night I had dangerous sex with someone and now I worry and panic I got HIV, So what must I do now?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi Anon, welcome here and thanks for posting.

I assume that "dangerous sex" is unsafe sex? If you were raped or experienced any other form of sexual violence please report this to a police station or your local clinic or medical service provider as soon as possible!

If you engaged in unsafe sex b(any sexual act which you think could have exposed you to HIV infection) go to your doctor, local clinic or any public hospital and ask for P.E.P. - Post Exposure Prophylaxis.

PEP is a course of tablets that could reduce your chances of being infected if you've been expose to HIV through semen or blood from another partner. You'll take this medication for a month.

Most importantly, you'll need to start PEP as soon as possible - after 72 hours of possible infection it won't work and the latest data suggest that you should commence the treatment within 24 hours of exposure to infection. So don't waste time - get yourself to a doctor as soon as possible, explain that you were exposed to HIV infection and commence the preventive treatment as soon as you can!

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.