Question
Posted by: Sue | 2007/08/25

Pancreatitis????

I have made myself dizzy trying to find possible diseases for the symptoms my husband is experiencing. He was diagnosed with lung cancer and then had a problem with a swollen adrenal gland. He was unable to tolerate the effects of the therapy and after two treatments - he took a break. His condition definitely improved after he stopped the treatment - his appetite returned and he picked up weight. The doctor told him to go back for a check up in April - which we did and the xrays revealed that the lungs were clear. We did not have another ultrasound to check the adrenal gland. However, since April, his condition began to deteriorate again and after quite a few months, we eventually went back and had another ultrasound and nothing was detected. The doctor said that the adrenal gland was swollen - as it was at the first ultrasound - and so he is 90% sure it is not cancerous as he feels if it were it would have grown. That does not explain the weight loss and the extreme pain my husband is having. He has pain 24/7. He is on morphine - but we are trying to wean him off it at the moment as he has been on morphine since he was first diagnosed with cancer (cancer of the tonsil, which led to cancer problems with the lymph nodes in round the jaw/neck region). This was in 2001. Since there is no explanation for the pain he is currently having - I have been trying to sort through the various sites available to input the symptoms and see what results I can find. The only result is that of utter confusion for me. But, I have been reading about pancreatitis and the pain symptoms described there are very similar to those experienced by my husband. He took some milk of magnesia this morning in a desperate attempt to see if that would relieve anything - and it did (or perhaps he imagines it did or maybe the pain just miraculously subsided for these few hours). Is it possible that milk of magnesia would relieve some of the symptoms of pancreatitis? It is like a needle in a haystack - but I am desperate for any kind of advice or any clue you can offer which may help in our efforts to try and find out what is wrong. We are going for a CT Scan on Monday!

Please help.

Sue

Dear Sue

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

I recommend that you consult an Oncologist to determine if the glandular cancer and lung cancer is in remission or has spread to the pancreas. I am unsure if milk of magnesia will eleviate pancreatic pain due to cancer. I therefore, suggest that he has a CT Scan of the abdomen done.

Kind regards