Question
Posted by: Zebra | 2003/03/09

Palpitations before bowel movement

Why do I experience palpitations when my bowel is gearing itself up for a bowel movement. I once had a birium enema and passed out when I was tilted to the upright position. I kept saying my head is not feeling good before passing out. What is the link between bowel activity, adrenalin and sensations in ones' head.

Zebra, I suppose there is a theoretical possibility that it is caused by the contractions of the bowel having an effect on the heart via negative feedback, but it isn’t a common occurrence. You will have to have pretty severe contractions for it to happen regularly. Let me know if you have more questions. Good luck.