Posted by: Nix | 2011/09/12


I am a 36 year old healthy female. I don''t smoke. I drink one or two units of alcohol weekly. I have one cup of coffee each morning. I started having heart palpitations about three years ago. I was going though a stressful time. My GP did an ECG and told me it was a ventricular premature beat. It feels like my heart beats, then misses a beat and then I feel a big beat. Now two years on I still have palpitations regularly (at the moment every evening, always when relaxing). I''m going through a huge amount of stress: my husband left after I discovered he''d had a long term affair, I''m going through a difficult divorce and have three small children. I was taking half a Cipralex a day but my GP suggested I increase to one a day when I mentioned my regular and disconcerting heart palpitations. I increased a week ago and no difference (of anything...more regular palpitations).

I have between 3 and 6 irregular beats per minute. Usually one is followed closely by a second (within 8-12 beats). I can live with it but it''s a horrible feeling. Like the feeling you get in your tummy on a rollercoaster...except in my chest. I an clearly feel it if I take my pulse. I have no other symptoms with the palpitations.

Is there anything I can do. Should I have another ECG? My last was nearly 2 1/2 years ago. My doctor mentioned beta blockers but I''m not sure what they do / if they''re necessary / if it''s better to do nothing...? I''m having surgery (fractured sesamoid removed) in a few weeks and worried about my heart

Thanks for your advice

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc


I strongly suggest that you ask your doctor for a referral to a cardiologist for tests to evaluate your heart beat. It might be necessary to have a 24 hour heart beat monitor done. It is a continious ECG over a 24 hour period, which will give a clear indication about what your heart beat does over a period of 24 houers. Depending on the findings, your cardiologist will suggest different treatment options.


Dr Anrich

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: anxious | 2011/09/13

Why aren''t you being treated by a cardiologist? ask your gp to send you to one for a thorough check. remember to mention your up-coming op

Reply to anxious

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.