Question
Posted by: Happy | 2006/11/12

Palpitations

For some time now, i would climb one flight of stairs and have my heart beating out of my chest. I try to eat healthily and started going to the gym recently, will this help? Why do i get these palpitations in the first place? I am only 19 years old.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Happy,

There are many possible causes for this. You may have simply a very fast pulse when you exercise because you are still unfit, and this should improve as you become more fit.

Palpitations are usually bursts of irregular pulse activity, which can happen even with the person at rest, so I cannot be sure that what you describe is “palpitations”, but more likely a normal response to exercise.

However, if you experience any other symptoms at the gym, or if the problem persists, then you will have to be examined by a doctor. You may have a heart problem, or a metabolic problem needing blood tests. Smoking will make this a lot worse, so please stop right now If you are a smoker. It is in any case totally senseless to go to a gym, and still carry on smoking.

Good luck.

HeartDoc