Question
Posted by: paint galore | 2005/12/14

paint

Hi I'm in my last trimester of pregnancy. They are currently painting the building where I'm working. It ocasionaly smells like paint, will it do any harm to my baby?.....We do close all the windows and the aircon's running....
Please advise, no one has mouned about feeling dizzy or having headaches?.....
If there are an constant paint smell, will it do harm to my baby? Isnt it toxic?

mom 2b

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

No, I don’t think this will harm you or your baby. You’d have to be exposed repeatedly and for a long period to quite high levels of fumes, and suffer symptoms, before there’d be any real cause for concern – and even then, it’s unlikely that there’d be permanent health implications.

However, you're right to be concerned about exposure to chemicals like paint during pregnancy. Exposure to paint fumes should always be avoided if possible, because they’re toxic and have been associated with a wide variety of negative health effects. These vary considerably, though, depending on the type of paint and the exposure level. But it’s not acceptable for workers to be exposed to fumes; if these do become constant, and particularly if anyone experiences symptoms, you have every right to complain.

It's an excellent idea generally to avoid chemical products in your environment as much as possible. While you're pregnant, it's better to avoid situations and chores that involve chemical exposure; if this is unavoidable, then make sure you get as much fresh air during and after the exposure as you can.

1
Posted by: EnviroHealth expert | 2005/12/15

You might also like to read the article on pregnancy and environmental risks: see the section 'Toxic substances' in the EnviroHealth Centre.

Reply to EnviroHealth expert