Question

Pains in abdomen

I went off the pill 7 months ago. My husband and I have been trying for a baby for the last 3 months. For six months after going off the pill my period stayed away. While on the pill my periods was normal. Three weeks ago I got my period and it was heavy (pains and bleeding). It kept on for 7 days. On the pill it lasted 3 days. More than a week ago (a few days after period stopped) I started getting lower abdomenal pains. Sometimes it's on the left side, sometimes on the right and sometimes (but rarely) in the middle. It's sharp, short pains that are consistant. I thought I might be ovalating but ovalation doesn't last for a week and only starts from your 14th day (as far as I know) and the pains started on my 8th/9th day, I am now on my 16th day, although I don't know yet if I am on a 28day cycle since I just had one period from quitting the pill. I then thought I might be pregnant and did a test 2 days ago which was negative. Yesterday I saw the doctor and he said that it's my colon but I've suffered from a spastic colon for years and have never experienced this kind of pains. I am also very tired the past week. I saw a gynae 3 months ago and she said that my servix is enlarged, that it feels like the servix of a pregnant woman. She also said that I must come back to her in Januarie so that we can do tests to see if I everything is ok. I started going on the pill 10 years ago, when I started with my period. My period was very irregular and the gynae said I must go on the pill, it's the only way that I can have normal periods. What could be the problem? Could I be pregnant?

It can take a while for your periods to normalise after stopping the Pill though, if they were irregular before, it may be that you have a problem with ovulation. When you see your gynaecologist in January, I am sure she will check this. Pregnancy is not likely as you had a period 3 weeks ago and had a negative pregnancy test. I cannot tell what the cause of your pain is without examining you. Possibiltiies are a bladder infection, ovarian cyst, spastic colon, endometriosis.