Question
Posted by: Carina | 2006/10/25

Painkillers on 16 weeks of pregnancy

My doctor prescribed me with stilpane pills at 16 weeks of pregnancy and I took it for 2 weeks 4 pills per day before another doctor told me I am not suppose to be taking these. Can it affect my baby negatively. Otherwise I am very healthy and have no other problems with my pregnancy

An increased risk of congenital malformations associated with the use of meprobamate, one of the constituents of Stilpane, during the first trimester of pregnancy has been suggested in several studies. If you took it after 12 weeks, you will probably be okay.

2
Posted by: Taryn | 2016/08/10

Hi there, I am 11 & a half weeks pregnant, I was prescribed 2 Stilpane tablets twice a day for pain associated with a severe sinus infection. I have only taken 2 tabs but am concerned, could this affect the baby? Many thanks, Taryn

Reply to Taryn
Posted by: Tash | 2006/10/25

Hi Carina

I have read that a pregnant women should not be taking any pain killer stronger than 1 Panado. I am not certain what the consequences are, of you taking still pain however if the gynae doc does not get back to you soon, I suggest you google the effects of still pain and that should give you some insight.

Take care
Tash

Reply to Tash