Question
Posted by: Pop | 2005/11/21

Painkillers

I am 17 weeks pregnant and I told my gynae that I have severe headaches, she prescribed synap forte for me when I was 12 weeks. I have been taking the synap forte's and the prescription is finished. When I asked my pharmacy if I could have the synap forte's without prescription they told me that I am not supposed to take it at all when I am pregnant. Would the tablettes I took harm my baby?

Safe use in pregnancy has not been established relative to possible adverse effects on foetal development. Instances of withdrawal symptoms in the neonate have been reported following usage during pregnancy. Therefore, dextropropoxyphene should not be used in pregnant women unless, in the judgement of the physician, the potential benefits outweigh the possible hazards.

2
Posted by: Natalie | 2005/11/21

You should ask to see a NEUROLOGIST. Neurologists specialize in the treatment of headaches, amongst other neurological conditions. Which province are you staying in?

Reply to Natalie
Posted by: Natalie | 2005/11/21

that was very careless of your gynae!!! i have been led to believe that when u are pregnant you need to be VERY careful which medications are used. even sinus tablets can cause harm. maybe go to another gynae for the rest of your pregnancy!!!

Reply to Natalie