Question
Posted by: Joanne | 2007/05/21

Painfull thumb

Dear Doc
In Nov 06 and Jan 07 both my hands were operated for DeQuervain's tenosynovitis. I am a Pers Assistant to a GM and 99% of my work is on the computer. After the op it was so good to have no pain in my hands anymore but three weeks ago I experienced terrible pain in my right thumb. When I press on the joint inside my hand it is very painfull. I noticed that after working on the computer at the end of a day my thumb feels swollen and painfull from holding the mouse. I am taking Mypaid for pain and inflamation - should I go back to my doctor who did the operation? Could this be a joint problem? I can not work without a mouse and the pressure holding it puts a lot of strain on my thumb - my left hand is okay. Could this be artiritus ? .. I am sa young 51 year old - people who meets me for the first time think I am in my early 40's .. so I need my hands ! Please help.
Joanne

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Joanne
I definitely think you should go back to your hand surgeon- even if the swollen joint may not be related to your previous operations. It could be some overuse- arthritis, but that is mere speculation on my part. You need your doctor to have a look and do the appropriate tests/x-rays etc. If the pain goes away over weekends or when you don't use the mouse at all, it could very well be that you are over using it at work.