Question
Posted by: bumps | 2007/08/01

painful wrists

Hi doc,

I am a 26 year old female and often get severe pains in my wrists so badly that i cant even push myself up out the bath or write etc. Sometimes I get a bump on my wrist which is quite large if I had to bend my hand down. I had it for about 1 year then it fanished just before winter this year and now it is back again and also a bit bigger. What could it be?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Bumps
It could be something we call a ganglion- a small harmless cyst usually found near a tendon or joint. It can be totally painless, but can also cause discomfort. They can sometimes spontaneously disappear/re-appear. Regarding the pain in your wrists, I suggest you see your doctor or a specialist rheumatologist who should do a physical examination and then send you for some bloodtests and/or x-rays if he thinks it is necessary.