Question
Posted by: QueenZiggy | 2004/12/08

Painful wrist

I have had an xray taken which says that : Evidence of previous Keinbocks disease of the lunate with fragmentation. There is some adjacent subchondral sclerosis at the radiocarpal joint as well as some lucency in the proximal aspect of the capitate. Negative ulnar variance is evident.

Can you tell me what this means and what can I do about it? I had an xray because my wrist and hand are sore especially when using a mouse or trying to write. I have also noticed that my grip is not very strong in that hand anymore.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Queen Ziggy
Keinbosch disease means that there is a piece of dead bone in the wrist area. This usually happens when there is disturbed blood flow in the growth lines of long bones(the areas where growth takes place when we are young.) You also may have injured you wrist in some or other way. One of the symptoms is that you have a weak grip. The treatment is usually longterm and you should please get to a doctor who knows something about this. The bones in your wrist may deteriorate more and you may develop a form of arthritis if this happens.
Please go and see a doctor as soon as possible and try and rest the wrist as far as possible.
Tereza

2
Posted by: CJ | 2005/08/27

I am very interested in the apparant success of your operation, especailly 15 yrs ago! Would you mind sharing more details pls? I have had Keinbocks about 14 yrs now and still have a lot of use but also limitations and pain and problems finding a suitable job. I would appreciate hearing some of your details as I have not heard of replacing with some hip bone! Do you know if others have used this method? I am in Australia.

Reply to CJ
Posted by: Westy | 2005/02/23

I had an operation for Keinbocks about 15 years ago. It took away all the pain but left my right wrist limited flexability. I had the bone replaced with a peice of my hip bone.

Reply to Westy