Question
Posted by: Ceila | 2005/07/12

Painful swellon cracked fingers,they have a redish, blue color

Hi There

My Grandad suffers every winter with is fingers that swell and crack, the look a reddish blue color. His hands are only like this in winter. He has tried all sorts of creams but they either don’t work or the may give slight relief. He is in terrible pain. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Celia

Ceila, it sounds like it might be due to chilblains. Chilblains are red, itching skin lesions, usually on the hands and feet, caused by exposure to cold without actual freezing of the tissues. They may be associated with oedema or blistering and are aggravated by warmth. With continued exposure, ulcerative or haemorrhagic lesions may appear and progress to scarring, fibrosis and atrophy of the tissues involved. Treatment consists of elevating the affected part slightly and allowing it to warm gradually (NB) at room temperature. Do not rub or massage injured tissues or use heat (or cold). Try to protect the affected areas from trauma and secondary infections. These measures are usually enough. If not, your child can try taking nicotinic acid, Loftyl® or as a last resort, Minipress®. I have heard about “speensalf” working for other people and I suppose it’s a safe enough option to try. Other than that, I don’t think there is much more you can do except for seeing a dermatologist. Good luck.

4
Posted by: Celia | 2005/07/12

Thanks for the info guy's, will be sure to look up chilblains

Reply to Celia
Posted by: Brit | 2005/07/12

I think your Grandad suffers from Chilblains. Do a search on the internet - you will find all the info u need. It only happens in the winter because it is the cold that causes it. I have it on my toes every winter. I use Reparil Gel (OR Deep Heat) as well as Rosemary oil, applied everytime after I bath/shower. Since it is on his hands it might be more difficult to treat. He must just keep his hands warm - ALWAYS. I know it will be difficult but I promise it's the only thing that works - keep it WARM.

Hope it gets better. But please do a search for Chilblains (OR Winter Toes) u will get all the info u need as well as treatments.

Reply to Brit
Posted by: Di Kimona | 2005/07/12

I have been diagnosed with RA - and this is exactly what I suffered from. There is hope!!! A rhematologist is the answer. I would sugest anti inflamatories as well as something like methotrexate. A good dr. will be abler to help. Good luck!!!

Reply to Di Kimona
Posted by: Celia | 2005/07/12

Do you have any idea what causes this and what can be done about it.

Reply to Celia