Question
Posted by: In some pain | 2007/04/22

Painful swelling in genital area

Pls help? I have suffered with painful swellings around the opening of my vagina and anus for years, they seem to be more frequent now. They swell, are quite itchy and painful. Sometimes they swell and go down and other times they pop and pus and blood come out! Why does this occur? I know it can't be an STD 'cos I have never been sexually active. What can I do,I am really embarrassed to tell my doctor?

It sounds like recurrent boils. This could be due to infected hair follicles. Also try to be sure of good hygine in that area. Sometimes diabetes and other disorders that suppress the immune system can cause this.