Posted by: New Jogger | 2008/10/26

Painful Shins

I need to know why my shins hurts after less than 20 seconds of running. Now this is not muscular, it feels more like my shins are about to snap.

I am fit and work out daily but only just decided to actually start jogging and to my horror, it hurts like hell.

What causes this? Can it be treated?? I want to run.

Difficult to say. What is the history? Have you been running for a while, or only just begun? It sounds like a typical case of shinsplints, which doesn't help a great deal, because it's only a symptom. There are many possible causes of this - it could well be muscular, because the muscle is attached to the bone and sometimes can pull at the fascia causing pain. Your shoes are also potential contributors to this problem, and so you may need to look at that.

So the best thing to do is to see someone about it, and have it diagnosed, because any treatment is guesswork without that diagnosis. While I hate to pass the buck, there are too many potential causes for this one.