Posted by: Wondering | 2009/09/01

Painful sex, please help.

Hi doc, I have been finding that for a couple of days after my period sex is very painful. I have seen my gynae and she says its normal, just use a lubricant. Which I have, and it doesn' t help.
It doesn' t feel dry, it feels like its raw inside, and its a burning sensation. I don' t know what to do or try.
Please can someone help me with some advice.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageSexologist

Painful sex is commonly experienced by women – some due to a lack of sufficient lubrication, other due to too early penetration before the vagina muscles relaxed enough. By what you are explaining it seems that you are experiencing something that is called vylvodynia. -
Vulvodynia is associated with continuous chronic burning, rawness, stinging, irritation of the vulva in the absence of any known cause such as infection or skin disease. Pain may occur without contact, and can be constant or intermittent, localized over a small area or affecting the whole vulva. The advice that the doctor gave of using more lubrication could be helpful, but maybe what you should also ensure is that you are relaxed enough before penetration. Pain has the tendency to contract muscles and the more we are contracted the more pain will be experienced. Furthermore you could also try alternating positions to explore if the women on top or the spooning technique is not maybe less painful as you as women then have a bit more control over the depth and the movement in and out of your vagina. You can also explore “kegel-exercises” (search the internet) to assist you in gaining more control over your PC muscles that are key muscles during sex.

You are welcome to phone our helpline – 0860100262 where you could be assisted in finding a practitioner as close as possible to you.
Furthermore you are welcome to visit the following website for any more sexual health information and assignments that could be helpful:

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Wondering | 2009/09/03

Thank You.

Reply to Wondering

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.