Question
Posted by: H | 2007/03/21

Painful periods - trying for a baby

I'm 25 yrs old and have a 1,5 yr old toddler. It was a struggle to get pregnant but eventually did with 100mg Clomid and 10000(?) Profasi. I was on The Pill for 7 years before we tried for a baby. When we decided to have another baby it again just wouldn't happen naturally, in spite of living a much healthier life. I eat perfect everyday. All my new life style has changed is that at least now I get a period. Before and after I had my baby my baby I didn’t get a period at all.
So my gynaecologist put me on 50mg Clomid again (this is my second month on it and now I’m on 100mg again. This month’s period was extremely painful. I got a bit of bleeding and then nothing for a day and then the pain started. I was in so much pain for 2 days I couldn’t move. The bleeding was normal though. I actually threw up from the pain and had this cold sweat fever. My doctor did a scan on day 13 of my cycle and I’m sure he would’ve seen if there was something wrong. Do you think there could be an explanation for this or is it sometimes normal to have period pains like that. Also, what is Profasi and should I ask to get that injection again if there is a follicle big enough this month? My previous pregnancy was with a different gynaecologist and my current gynae doesn’t seem to be keen on the Profasi?

I can't tell what the cause of the pain was but, if it has resolved, there is probably nothing serious. Different fertility specialists use different regimes. Profasi 'triggers' release of the egg at a specific time so that you know when the best time is to have intercourse. You can discuss this with your doctor.