Question
Posted by: Sharlene | 2007/05/14

Painful periods - later in life

Hi. I'm 43 now. I was on the pill till about 35, then my now ex-husband was sterilised and I haven't needed contraceptives again. (My mother died of a blood clot, and the pill can cause these) I don't have a medical since my divorce, and a hysterectomy would solve my problem, but I won't go to a provincial hospital. The terrible pains started about 3 years ago and it's getting worse and worse, to the point that I sit and cry. (I had 3 natural childbirths - 2 without pain relief - I think this pain is at least as bad) I was told by a clininc sister to have the injection as it takes your periods away, but what about blood clots and other side effects? I'm allergic to aspirin and all anti-inflammatories, so I can't drink an aspirin a day and hope for the best.

Do you have any other advice?

Please help.

If you have period pains on Day 1 of your period and they then get better, this is probably normal. Ponstan often helps with this. You don't say what your allergy to anti-inflammatories is, but you could try this if it is not severe.
The injection does not cause blood clots. It is oestrogen, not progesterone that does this.