Question
Posted by: Marita | 2005/12/02

Painful neck & weakness and pain in arm

For a period of ± 6 years I have been suffering with pain, stifness and spasms in my neck. For the last year I am also experiencing a weak feeling in my right arm as well as pain in the arm. My GP suggested physiotherapy as well as dry needle treatment recently. I drink anti-inflammatory medication quite often and do the neck exercises regularly. Since my arm has been getting gradually worse, I consulted my GP again and he sent me to a Neurophysiologist. The tests shown that I do not have carpal tunnel, but that there is a "pinched nerve" between C6 & C7. He suggested I continue with the physiotherapy. I must just mention that I was involved (3 x) in a car crash, where I definetly suffered from whiplash at least once. X-rays however did not show any abnormalities. What treatment/advice could you offer me?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Marita
You may want a second opinion on this, although surgery is considered a last resort and only done in cases where there is muscle wasting and definite weakness in the affected limb. You can ask you GP to refer you to a neurosurgeon for a second opinion.

1
Posted by: Mike | 2005/12/13

What is carpal tunnel? I am suffering from exactly the same symtoms.

Reply to Mike