Question
Posted by: Carrie | 2003/12/08

Painful lower legs

I am a 54 year old female. I am fairly fit and have been going to gym for the past 4 years, at least twice per week. I had my colesterol and blood sugar recently tested at gym and both were normal. My blood pressure is a bit on the low side but not serious. My general health is good.
Lately I have started going to gym 4 x per week (twice to step class, twice on the stepper machine) and a little weight training.
However, my lower legs have been so sore lately. They seem to pain inside the bones. When this happens it seems that I cannot keep my legs quiet yet movement aggravates the pain. I take paracetamol for the pain and it does take the edge off but I don't like to take too many pain-killers. I have started taking vitamin tablets but this has not made any real difference. The pain has been apparent on and off for about 2 weeks now.
Do you think this is in any way related to the additional exercise? Or can you offer any advice?

Carrie, it’s probably due to the increased exercise and the best would be to take an anti-inflammatory like Brexecam® every morning for a week or so. You can also try taking some magnesium and see if that helps. If it’s not better after a week, the best would be to see your doctor. Good luck.