Question
Posted by: darryl | 2007/08/15

painful knee

I am 31 and weigh 68, my left knee is giving me a problem. When I bend my knee for 2 or 3 minutes, and then I straighten it there is an intense pain behind my knee cap. While walking or cycling I have no pain only when I bend it for a longish period. Any reasons or ideas what could be wrong?

HI Darryl

Very difficult to know for sure without a proper examination, history and evaluation. ANd that is something only a doctor or a physio will be able to do with you. I suspect it's probably something either related to the muscle (which controls the movement of the knee - it must move in a straight line, and that's muscle that helps it) or perhaps to cartilage. It's just speculation though, it needs to be diagnosed, and so I have to pass the buck, unfortunately and recommend that you see a doctor about it.