Question
Posted by: Darryl | 2007/08/15

painful knee

Good afternoon,

I am 31, weigh 68 and I have been batteling with my left knee for about 4 months. I cycle often but have not been on my bike for around 5 months. If I bend my knee for 2 or 3 minutes, when I straighten it I have an intense pain behind my knee cap. I have no discomfort when walking or when riding my bike.

Could you assist as to what it may be?

Dear Darryl
You may have patello femoral pain syndrome (http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/knee/indexcmp.php)
or inflammation of the bursa underneath the patella. You can let your GP confirm this and refer you to a biokineticist for strenghtening of certain muscles around the knee, and prescribe some anti-inflammatories to take.
Dr B