Question
Posted by: Dumbo | 2005/12/09

Painful inner ear

I recently had a very strange condition in my right ear and it has become increasingly worse. It feels as if there is water blocking my inner ear and I cannot swallow or yawn without it being very painful. I can also not hear with this ear. What's going on? Is this something serious?

Dear Dumbo,
You could have an external ear canal infection - the skin is enclosed in a bony tunnel and can't swell anywhere else but to the inside, blocking the ear. It can be very painful. Please go to your dr to prescribe an antibiotic/cortisone eardrop combination for you?