Question
Posted by: Linda | 2003/01/08

Painful Hips

I started having problems with my left hip. I would wake up during the night with the most terribly burning pain in my hip. I could not lie on that side. It has now deteriorated to the extent that both my hips have the most horrible burning pain when I sleep. I can only get relief if I sleep on my back or on my stomach. I have been for 3 different sets of x-rays and all reports reflect that there is absolutely nothing wrong with my hips. All clear. However, I have what is called early degenerative arthritis in my back at the top and at the very lower back. Now, can this cause this terribly burning pain in my hips? I have not had a good night's sleep in I do not know how long. I am a working person so I actually need my rest. The last report from the x-ray department also mentions early sklerosis in my back. It is strange that my back seems to have all the problems but I suffer from these horrible hip pain every night. Can you advise me what I should do?

Linda, something is pressing on the nerves that supply the hips where they exit the spilan column. This is because of the spaces between the vertebrae becoming smaller because of your back problems. You can try taking anti-inflammatories, but if they don’t work the best person to see would be to see a neurosurgeon. Good luck.