Posted by: elderly female | 2003/03/06

painful heel

arthritis and high blood sufferer. have a painful lower heel condition especially after walking for long periods of time.

please recommend treatment.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

EF, the best would be to have an x-ray taken and make sure it is arthritis. If it is, you can try taking a long-acting anti-inflammatory like Brexecam®, Celebrex®, Vioxx, etc. Good luck.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Ladylife | 2003/03/09

Elderly female? I am going to make a suggestion here which goes against the professional advice you have been given and it is entirely up to you to try and see what works best for you.

You say that you are arthritis. Sad to say that though some of the arthritis medications do tend to help with the inflammation thereby helping to reduce the 'ouch' factor - being on anti-imflammatory medications for the rest of your life is not something I personally am too comfortable with.

I would suggest you go along, or get someone to take you to a PODIATRIST who comes well recommended and have him/her take a look at your foot. SO many people with arthritis end up with pain in the weight bearing joints of the body of which your feet are number one.

The Podiatrist will give you a really good check up and will no doubt find that due to the arthritis that one or both of your feet are no longer perfectly aligned as they were when you were in your younger years and there is SO much which can be done to help and totally alleviate this problem.

There are various really good options which they can offer you to help you with your painful foot which NORMALLY includes having tailor made shoe inserts made for you and you alone which you wear in your shoes and will put your body into the most optimal position while standing

You start of wearing these inserts gradually and then as time goes by you work your way up to wearing them between 6 to 8 hours per day and as someone who has gone this route - it solved all my problems and then some!

Just by way of a suggestion? Until you can get to see a PODIATRIST - try to go to any good sport shop and ask for their very best range of HEEL SCHOCK absorbers which you wear in the heel area of your shoe and that alone already absorbs a significant amount of your body weight each time you put your body weight onto your heels. That, until you can be better diagnosed and treated is a really helpful aid worth using!

All the operations which were suggested to try to clear up my own really bad heel pain was finally totally disolved by wearing my custom made shoe inserts for two whole years (my choice!) and now, when I know that I will be spending hours and hours on my feet - I slip into a pair of really good 'shock aborbing shoes' such as unfortunately only Clarke shoes make/import and into which I slip my heel protectors.

If it is something as simple as doing the rounds of the malls? A pair of good shock absorbing running shoes (or takkies as we used to call them) - insert your heal protector and you will be walking pain free until it is time to return home.

Heard of 'icing' your heels such as when sitting down watching T.V? A bag of well frozen peas onto which you put your heel to help with the inflammation. Then massaging in a blob of anti-inflammatory creams which are available over the counter. Voltaren cream or anything which offers the same ingredients..

It is only a temporary help so you still need to go and be fully assessed.

Best of luck


Reply to Ladylife

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.