Posted by: Thabo Molemohi | 2012/02/21

Pain under the right hand side of the rib cage

For some time now I have been experiencing this pain under the last rib on the right hand side. It is numb but quite unconfortable when touching and upon releaese of touching. I have read various advice(s) on what might be the possible/probable cause and MOST if not ALL are very SCARY. I have been experiencing it over time as it comes and goes and can be unbearable at time. What is my recourse??

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc


You will have to consult an orthopedic surgeon for a clear diagnosis. It is possible that you have costochondritis (inflammation of one or more of the cartlidge of the ribs). A nerve block can be done to alleviate the pain or surgery to remove the rib in question.


Dr Anrich

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Thabo Molemohi | 2012/02/27

I went to my GP and he made various tests(x-rays, bloods etc). Then when they were available he telephonocally called the surgeon who advised that, on the bases of the lab reports, we " should not panic yet, but should pain come back I will have to visit him"  He also advised on some prescription medication (tablets)

Reply to Thabo Molemohi

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.