Question
Posted by: Richard | 2005/07/01

pain under my heart

I have occassional pain that feels like it is under my heart.
It is a hot feeling like there is gas behind my heart and i get a tingle up the back of my head on the left side. It started about 5 years ago. When I drink a glass of water it is as if it puts out the fire and the pain goes away. I have been to my local GP and he has given me a complete check up and all is fine. I get the pain about every 2 to 3 months. When i first got the pain it lasted for about half an hour but have since discovered that a glass of water instantly stops the pain. What could this be?
Regards Richard

Richard, I can’t say for sure without being able to examine you first, but it sounds like it might be due to gastro-oesophageal reflux (acid moving up into the oesophagus). Next time it happens you can take Zantac® effervescent and if it does the same, it is probably acid related. If you’re interested in something I wrote on the “other than heart” causes of chest pain you’re welcome to mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za. Good luck