Question
Posted by: Mala | 2008/06/06

Pain right upper abdomen

Hi doctor
I have a pain in my right upper abdomen shooting through to the back and to my shoulder. I have been to my GP. He's done a sonar of upper abdomen - nothing wrong - no gall stones, pancreas normal etc. Suspects IBS. Have prescribed Buscopan to help with pain, but I still have the same terrible pain in the same place. Is this a normal symptom for IBS?

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

The constant pain might be a symptom of Irritable Bowel Syndrome but it is not common. Your common symptoms are nausea, vomitting and alternating stools. I recommend that you make an appointment with a gastroenterologist for a second opinion.

Kind regards