Question
Posted by: Pam | 2011/02/14

Pain - possible infection in Psoas Muscle ?

Please I need help - fast !

I am very active in sport, but have had a debilitating infection (with a bad odour - not from urine, stools or vagina). Blood tests, ultrasounds, CT scans, xrays, etc, etc show nothing clinically wrong with me. But I have severe pain in my right side which moves through to my back. Drs are loathe to prescribe antibiotics if they cant find anything wrong with me, but I am definitely not imagining the pain or the odour and I love my sport !

This is just one of the many articles I found !
Psoas Pain
•  Fortunately, the prognosis for patients with this problem is very good, especially when intervention is provided early. Primary psoas abscess occurs when bacteria such as Staph bacteria get into the muscle, creating an area of inflammation and infection which often fills with fluid, including pus.

•  Today, it is more commonly associated with infections of the bowels, kidneys, or spine. A patient with a psoas abscess can experience pain in the abdomen, groin, or lower back. The patient also usually has a fever, and may experience frequent urination.

I’ ve already started with the stretching exercise they recommend and can feel where it is pulling in that exact spot where I get the pain –  now just to get rid of the abscess (if there is one), then I think I will be A for away !

Please advise

Hi Pam

Wow, sounds like a complex case if the blood work and scans have shown nothing. I would say that a course of anti-biotics is worth a shot, but would they not have already eliminated this with some of the blood tests? If not, then I'd go with it, I can appreciate their reluctance, but failing to provide an alternative means that you're within your rights to at least discuss it with a medical doctor. They work for you, after all...

So I'd bring this up, make the same appeal and see if they'll provide a prescription. That's really the only way to know.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/02/18

Hi Pam

Reply to fitnessdoc