Question
Posted by: Nomsa | 2005/07/25

Pain on my left side sidturbing sleep

I have a pain on my left side that simply won't go away. Nights are simply a nightmare as the pain gets worse when I try to sleep. It takes me more than an hour to fall to sleep, I constantly twist and turn. The pain is underneath my left breast and my left ribs. The clinic doctor said to me that this affects most women and the diagosis he made was that I have a lower respitory tract infection and he gave me an antibiotic to treat this. Well this didn't help and now when ever I drink something cold I can actually feel the liquid as it moves down my left side, my left side simply becomes cold. I don't know what to do anymore. This is just disturbing my sleep. I now have to sleep face down because when I try to sleep on my side I would immediately feel a sharp pain on my left side. Is this really normal?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Nomsa,

This “affecting most women “ story is nonsense – this is not normal, and you need to find yourself another doctor. You may have had a respiratory tract infection at some stage, but even that diagnosis does not fit what you say. I must admit, your symptoms do not add up to anything I can think of, other than perhaps a costochondritis, an inflammation of the ribs. However, there is something definitely not right here. Either you get another GP, or you ask your present one to refer you to a specialist physician for evaluation – I would recommend the specialist rather. Ypu must actually be examined - this can't be dealt with on a furm like this.

Good luck.

HeartDoc.

1
Posted by: Sandy | 2005/08/19

I also have pain on my left side that occurs when I'm sleeping. Most nights I wake up with a sharp localized pain on my left side. I've had this off and on for years and no one knows what it is. It started at the outside of my rib cage on the left side and has been slowly moving down my body until this last week it's now closer to my left kidney. Sometimes it's so painful I can hardly breathe and the only way to stop the pain is to get up or lay on my back and breathe slowly.
Any ideas??? What kind of a specialist should I seek out? Thank You!
Sandy

Reply to Sandy