Question
Posted by: Martie | 2008/02/04

Pain medication

Dear doc

I experience severe pain during my menstruation. I have tried paracetamol, ibrufen, paracetamol/ibrufen combinations. Myprodol. Nothing works. I am scheduled for a hysterectomy on the 6 March. (Cannot do it earlier due to work/childcare commitments). I am due to have another 2 periods before then (I bleed every 21 days for 10 days. I am 35 and have 3 kids and have been sterilised. I have not used birth control for 7 years and I dont take any other meds. I am healthy and have a normal weight.

Do you have any suggestions of another medication to try that will aleviate the pain and tell me whether I need a perscription for it.

Dear Martie
Try Synflex or Naprosyn, with a hotwater bottle on your tummy ( not too hot though) You should be able to buy this without a prescription. With this you can use Dolorol Forte if needed and if still painful. ( 1 naprosyn or synflex plus 2 dolorol forte every 6-8 hours)