Question
Posted by: Need To Know | 2004/11/04

Pain left side just under my ribs

Dear Doc,

I have a type of pressure pain just under my left rib.
I woke up with it after I had a lot of coffee on an empty stomach the night before. I did eat after all the coffee.

This pain is now with me for the second day.

My stool passing is not like it was before.

Thanks in advance

Ntk, it might be that the coffee worsened an underlying stomach problem like gastritis. It might of course also be to something else like a bowel, spleen, kidney, etc, problem but I doubt that any of them would have been worse by drinking coffee. If it doesn’t clear up by the end of the weekend the end of the best would be to see a doctor. In the meantime you can try taking ranitidine 150mg twice daily. Good luck.

2
Posted by: Need to Know | 2004/11/04

Thanks for the reply,

How long did you leave it before you had to go to hospital?

Reply to Need to Know
Posted by: Me | 2004/11/04

It might be kidney infection even though it is not connected to your bowel system.

I suffer from kidney infections and when i drink too much coffee I get one.

Just be careful to not leave it too long, i thought nothing of my first pain and ended up in hospital for a week because my infection was so severe. If you start feeling like you getting flu and a fever (aches and pain and all blocked up) go to your doctor IMMEDIATELY as if you leave it too long you will end up in hospital, which is not really iseal.

Reply to Me