Question
Posted by: hutch | 2007/04/19

pain in the leg

Good day Doc

Ever start of winter my leg right gets very pianfully,sometimes so bad that I can not walk,when I was in the SADF they said I had shin splints.Please could you help me and may tell me what I need to do to fix it ?and to make it better

many thanks

Dear Hutch
Shin splints are microscopically small cracks in the bone due to exercise with lifting of the periost or bone covering. If this just happens in winter, there may be another reason. Your GP should examine you, do a x/ray of the leg, some blood test and a gallium scan if possible. The cause should be treated.