Question
Posted by: Caitlin | 2004/11/09

Pain in the hips - 6 months pregnant

Hello Dr,
I'm 6 and a half months pregnant and have read that once one's ligaments starts loosening in preparation for birth, one may feel unstable in the hips. I have quite a bit of pain in my hips, so much so that I cannot sleep on either of my sides and even sleeping in a semi sitting position is sometimes painful. I try to spend half an hour on the treadmill every morning despite walking being also painful but I am concerned that I might be doing more harm that good. I wouldn't want to give up the walking, but don't want a permanent hip problem later in life.
Thank you for your advice.

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Caitlin

I hope you are enjying this wonderful time in your life.
My suggestion is to rub at the base of your skull, you should find it quite tight - it can help release the hips. Also try opening your mouth as wide as you can, and rubbing the jaw muscles. May seem strange but I have a feeling it will work wonders for you

Douglas