Question
Posted by: Jane | 2006/04/03

Pain in the back of both knees

Hi there!
I am 24 yrs old, weigh 50 kgs and i am 1.64 metres in height, and have started gyming 3-4 times a week, that includes 10-15 mins on the treadmill, just walking at a fast pace.
I completed a 23 km walk yesterday and found that at about 10 kilometres through, i felt an ache in the back of both my knees(inbetween the back of my thighs and calves). The aching continued through the walk and is still present when i walk . It hurts if i stretch out both my legs when i lie down and when i straighten them while walking. It is a bit tender at these points as well.
I have never had this problem before, and i have also never walked this distance before.

Could you please advise as to what i have doing incorrectly, or what the problem is? Are the any precautionary measures that i could take for the next one?

Thank you!

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Jane

It seems you went from 3-4 km a session to a massive 23km one. It could be a number of things;

-Road walking gives different strains to gym walking;harder, different surfaces.
-Shoes can be a problem if they are incorrect
-Your style of walking, if you are a pronator can put strain on the knees.
-Doing to much too soon. Try building up your routine gradually before attempting your next walk.

DrP