Posted by: Kerry | 2008/06/20

Pain in shins

Hope you can assist. I am 34 years old and have always lead a moderately active lifestyle. I have over the last few (approximately 3) months however not been as active as before. It was then that I decided to take up running which initially entailed walking the majority of fun walks / runs. However a week ago I successfully completed my first 10 km run and was very enthusiastic and looking forward to further challenges.

The problem is that the day following the 10km race I felt pains in my shins which has now severly hampered my progress. Rest thus far has not helped

My questions are:

1) Should I train through the pain (as some people have advised)
2) Should I see a sports doctor or biokinetist
3) Bearing in mind that prior to embarking on my training I went to a specialist shoe store (Heart & Sole I think) who provided me with New Balance shoes that I am currently using, would it make sense to see someone who could analyse my running style

Basically, where should I start?

It would be great if you can point me in the right direction.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageArchive

Hello Kerry,
Never train in pain.

Consult an Osteopath to find out the reasons behind the problem before you search further.

Best regards

Dr. Guy Ashburner Osteopath

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.