Question
Posted by: Liz | 2003/01/16

Pain in my shins when running or jumping

1. Everytime I run I get these pains in my shins after which I have to stop running and let the pain go away first. Why do I get those pains and will they go away after I get more fit?
2. If I skip a day or two at the gym where other responsibilities have to be dealt with first, will it make a big difference to my programme? Should I do more excercises the next time to make up for it? What should I do?

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Liz

When you start exercising, your bones adapt more slowly (in terms of bone strength) than your cardiovascular system. Therefore some "bone pain" is common. Therefore rather take it eaiser and give your bones time to adapt, otherwise you would suffer a more serious bone injury.
After about 12 - 16 weeks, your bones should be stronger.
Perhaps you should incorporate some swimming or aqua in your programme during this time.

If you skip a day - this is not a problem - but just don't let it demotivate you and make you less likely to go to the next session - make sure you do a thorough session next time around - but don't push too hard either.

Keep up the good work.

1
Posted by: Manuela | 2003/01/23

Dear Doc

Just as Liz has these pains when running and/or jumping I have these intense pains in my shins when doing rowing on the stationery rower. Although I enjoy rowing more so than cycling on the stationery bike the pain is most unpleasant. I try and do 5 minutes a session so that the pain is not that intense.

What would you suggest??

Reply to Manuela