Question
Posted by: Bella | 2008/06/05

pain in my cheek

Dear Doc
If I sit too long I get a pain in my buttock cheek and it runs down the back of my leg. I am 50 years old and haven't done anything to cause this problem. I am just a bit worried as I am flying overseas in a months time and not too sure what I can do about it. I also sit at work a lot. Even driving to work and from work I have this problem so not sure how I am going to cope flying.
Any suggestions?

Hi Bella
This sounds to me like Sciatica - the nerve running through the buttock to the leg - let your GP and a physiotherapist evaluate this for you to see if physio will help, and maybe you will need a x/ray of the lower back too. See http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00351