Question
Posted by: Babes | 2003/02/21

Pain in my ankle

Dear Doc
I have been jogging for a while now but the problem is when I don't jog for a day a two, I have this pain in my right ankle and this only when I lift my foot slightly, what do you think could be the cause of this, my running shoes maybe, or the way I jog?
I appreciate all previous answers to my questions
Thank You

HI Babes
Only a pleasure - I hope they are helpful!

Re the pain in your ankle - it could possibly be related to incorrect running shoes, but it might also be related to "bone strain" - which sometimes happens in novice runners. Basically, bone tissue takes much longer (12 weeks minimum) to adapt to the forces of running than for example the heart to high intensity exercise. I would recommend that you try running on soft surfaces for the next two weeks or so and see if this makes any difference. Also, if your shoes are not providing much shock absorption, perhaps it's time to invest in a new pair.

Hope this helps!