Question
Posted by: concerned | 2006/07/18

pain in legs and knees

My husband has been getting pain in his legs, mostly the bottom parts for years now. He is only 36 but gets pain daily. He says it is the bones itself that pain and some days he also gets pain in his knees and says they feel about twice their size. The pain in the bones in his bottom legs he describes as if someone is squeezing them very tightly. He saw a consultant a couple of years or so ago who just said he has double jointed knees, but no treatment was offered. Is this really the cause of his pain or is it something else? He takes Voltaren and cocodamol but these don't even take all the pain away. Also, if he sits on his knees on the floor, he has great difficulty getting up and his knees sometimes locks and then he has to straighten them while on the floor before he can get up. Please help!

Dear Concerned
Your husband my have vascular problems in the legs or a rheumatic condition. He needs to have his pulses checked - and have a sonar of the leg arteries if needed, he may also need some x/rays of the bones and joints and basic blood tests. His GP can do the basics and refer him to either a rheumatologist or orthopod if needed.