Question
Posted by: Liz | 2005/07/07

Pain in leg

I injured my leg 2yrs ago when I fell and my knee landed on a steel pole as thick as my pinky and stuck into my knee. All my muscles went flat. I went for quite a few physio sessions and had no other problems. I play squash about 4-5 times a week and tournaments once a month. I also train at gym upper & lower body weight training (mild).
At a tournament a few weeks ago I was stretching and suddenly something in my knee felt like it snapped. It was painful, but I still managed to finish the tournament. I didn't play for about 3 wks after that and it started getting better.
Every now and again If I step a certain way I'll feel that same sudden pain and then a muscle (I think) in my kne would hurt again for a few days. Now, the muscles on the sides of my lower leg and even underneath my foot are constantly aching. Not like a pulled muscle but just aching.
What should I do? Do I need Xrays/Physio/Chyro/Specialist. I know a GP will just refer me to someone.

Liz, it sounds like you might have torn your cruciate ligament or meniscus. The best would be to see an orthopaedic surgeon and to have him sort it out for you. Good luck.