Question
Posted by: charles | 2008/01/25

pain in left ankle

I am 41 yrs old - generally assumed to be sometimes in my late 20's, so I never thought my body wld ever seem to let me down. Have always been very healthy. Been a paratrooper, actor, jogged a lot. Some years ago I found that sometimes on an irregular basis, as soon as I climbed out of a car, or stood up suddenly, my foot would buckle in excruciating pain. I started from then on always first testing the foot lightly before I gotr up from any sitting position. Basically other than than that no swelling or pain was otherwise involved - only pain when I stepped on it. Like when I get up from the cinema seat, bed, or any resting position. then mostly I would have to walk criple for some steps before it goes away and I can walk normal. Sometimes it corrects itself through just moving my ankle around. It has gotten worse lately, but at times gives me no problems for maybe a month. I want this to go away. What is causing it?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Charles
I suggest you have an x-ray taken to see whether there is any structural damage that can be picked up. It may only be a bit of osteo-arthritis due to your history of jumping out of planes etc!! The high impact landings as well as jogging could have caused this- osteo-arthritis is just the normal wear and tear changes we experience when we become older and the joints are not as well oiled as they used to be! This is usually more prevalent where we have been involved in rather taxing physical activity. Ask your GP to check it out if it bothers you.