Question
Posted by: JONTI | 2003/03/24

PAIN IN JOINTS?

Is there ANYTHING in banana, flaxseed oil, spinach or orange juice that can cause pain and clicking in a persons joints?
Since I have added these things to my diet my bones have become painful particularly my wrist.

Dear Jonti
If you never ate bananas, spinach or oranges before, then you need to cut out all 3 for about 3 weeks to see if the condition clears up. If it does, you can add back one of these foods at a time at intervals of 2-3 weeks. If you add back the banana and spinach and do not experience symptoms, and then get the pain after adding orange juice, you will know that it is orange juice that is the culprit. It is unlikely that flaxseed oil would cause any problems because people use it to treat arthritis. If the elimination diet does not clear up the symptoms, then your arthritis is not related to these 3 food items. When you have used up the flaxseed oil, replace it with Salmon oil capsules as salmon oil is an even better source of omega-3 fatty acids.