Question
Posted by: Me | 2005/07/26

Pain in coccyx

Dear Doc

A little advice please. I have been having excruciating pain in my Coccyx as of late. It only started since the birth of my son and my GP seems to think it is because bones have had to move etc. Needless to say it becomes so bad that when I sit (which is sometimes 8 hours a day because of work) often times I battle to get up and try not cry as it hurts so bad.

You never realise how much you utalise your bottom until that privilege is restricted. I have seen my GP and he has given me a cushion to sit on. This helps a little, but sometimes when you go out to a restaurant or movies, it is not possible to carry that whopping big cushion with you and the pain returns

How long will it take, with the help of the cushion, for my Coccyx to heal?

My doc has also suggested shaving the tip of the Coccyx to eliminate the pain quicker but what I want to know is what is this op called and how serious is it? Where do they cut (it should be fairly obvious but just want to check anyway) How long and painful is the op, how long will I be off work (never mind off my bottom) and is it 100% successful?

Please advise as I am suffering!

Me, before we go any further, how old is your son? Let me know as a new question and we’ll take it from there. Good luck.