Posted by: Brian | 2008/10/06

Pain in arms and chest with raised BP

Hi, I am a 46 yr male 90 Kg about 15 to many.
Yesterday after walking around the Waterfront I had a headache and felt tiered so I lay down to rest. I started experiencing a pain across the top of my chest going into both arms making them feel heavy. The pain was not sever but more uncomfortable. The intensity would vary but it lasted for about 10 minutes. My blood pressure towards the end was 184/109 and 177/105, I do not have high pressure. Over the next say 3 hours I experienced a number of episodes lasting up to about 3 minutes.
Is this something to be concerned about?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear Brian
Yes this is. It sounds very much like angina and I think you should have your cholesterol tested and an ECG done as soon as possible to exclude a blocked coronary artery. Please phone your doctor and make an appointment as soon as possible!
Dr Bets

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Ruby | 2008/10/06

Hi Brian,
I definately would go to my GP asap if it was me. Even if it is not your heart, its better to figure out what is causing it so that you can help prevent it in future. I had problems last year that indicated heart failure and stuff. In the end there was nothing wrong with my heart, but if the cause was not dealt with (very low calcium, causing spasms &  irregular HR), it would have caused much more serious problems. It can be something totally insignificant like indigestion, stress related muscle spams, panic attack, etc... but even if it is, its better to know and to deal with it. Your GP will be able to referr you to a cardiologist if he think it is potentially more serious or if he rather want to make sure its not your heart. PS Best is actually to go to a doctor when it happens (like go to ER), then they can take ECG while you have symptoms and see if your heart is causing it - thats what my cardiologist told me. All the best!

Reply to Ruby

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.