Posted by: Concerned | 2008/10/10

Pain during intercourse -post menopausal

Hi Doc,
I am 59 years old and have been in menopause for 14 years.
I went into menopause at the age of 45yrs whilst I was beening treated for breast cancer. I had a lumpectomy, chemo and radiotherapy. I was on tamoxicin x 10 years ( 5 yrs &  5yrs clinical tries) I have experienced pain on penitration ever since. I have tried all types of vaginal creams etc as I cannot use any hormones due to the breast cancer. My husband and I have used other methods of having sex but when we try penitration even with ky jelly, it still hurts.
Please help.

The main reason why menopausal women have pain with intercourse is vaginal dryness due to lack of oestrogen. The usual treatment is Premarin vaginal cream. Check with your oncologist if you can use this occasionally.