Question
Posted by: KarenA | 2008/02/03

Pain continually on left side of head

I dont suffer much from headaches, but when i do get them they are always in the same place - along the left side of my head. Sometimes this develops into a migraine which last for a few days and i live in Nurofen in order to keep going.

However, i continaully have a pain on the left side of my head. I dont feel it much unless i scrunch my eyes up, or touch my forehead. Then it hurts and it is almost like a sharp pain, but a pain which is hard to describe.

I never have pain on the right hand side.

This problem has been with me for a long time now, and it is getting to the point where i am now scared to blink / scrunch my eyes hard as it then hurts.

Should i be concerned about this? Any ideas what it could be?

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear KarenA

Many people haveheadache pain only on one side, but the site of the pain doesn’t tell one very much about the cause. The only way you are going to have successful treatment is to have the correct diagnosis made, and there is only one way to do this.

You must have a proper medical assessment, which should include a neurological examination. The reason for this is to make absolutely certain that there is not some serious or life threatening underlying medical condition causing the headaches. Although this is uncommon, it is essential to exclude this possibility before doing anything else.

Once this has been done, then the next part of the investigation is started. The correct way to deal with the problem is to have a proper diagnosis of the underlying causes of the headache. If these are treated, the headaches no longer occur, and it is no longer necessary to rely on potentially harmful “rescue” medication.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary” assessment. There are many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, and no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For this reason, the combined the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, are co-ordinated into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables a more comprehensive treatment plan, in which all the contributing factors are addressed. This assessment must include examination to determine the presence of tension in the head and neck muscles.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911 (Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban).

1
Posted by: pp | 2008/03/14

Dont you feel like we are getting an answer from a robot as he answers every complaint with the same cut and paste answer
I also get a sharp pain over my left eye but usually after drinking a glass of wine or taking a beer it also occurs when I have been working out and I have dehydrated myself usually after a rest and a good drink of water it goes away However recently I have stopped drinking milk and changed to Soy milk and I seem to be much better.

good luck Paul..

Reply to pp