Question
Posted by: road runner | 2007/06/16

pain behind knee/ foot/heel

Please could you advise me. I am not sure who to see initially to try and find out why, after really progressing well with my walking attempts.....[ joind Walk for Life and got to 6 kms and onto the road] suddenly started getting a pain on the inner part and side of knee (inner).... thought it was hamstring.... did stretches etc.... but it was eventually affecting my leg. I then kicked my toe on the other foot and broke a toe..... and almost the next day woke up with an incredible pain in the big toe joint and the heel of my foot.(the leg that has the pain behind the knee) .. felt like I was walking on the bone!!!! you can imagine my predicament. I am now really battling to walk and now have had to resort to drinking painkillers just to try and get around! and do my household chores and get on with my life re shopping and taking care of the family. [I have taken colchesine thinking that if it were gout, it should help... together with Nurofen..... but the pain persists.....
needless to say the broken toe is causing great distress as I cant wear closed shoes .. and now cannot even try and take the weight on the other foot. Please could you tell me what you think this is (by the way, the knee pain has subsided a considerably........ its now the foot of that leg!!!.[ I do not suffer from back ache except once in a while) and had xrays done of my hip and back 7 months ago as I had upper back muscle problems..... and xrays as far as the back were concerned did not show anything.
Please advise me ASAP as I really cant function and attend to my daily duties..... (I have lost 8 kgs and also not diabetic!)
I had to attend a function last night and wore shoes with a small heel.... I was in agony, but had no choice. eventually BOTH feet went into cramp spasm!!!!!! What is going on... I have never before had problems with my feet! ?

I look forward to your reply! Thank you!

Expert ImageArchive

Clearly there is more than one thing going on, and it isnt impossible for a person to get multiple problems in the foot. In order you got the knee pain then you fractured the toe on the opposite leg, then got the painin the heel as well as the big toe joint. Without a hands on examination it isnt easy to say exactly but the following possibility exists.
1) The knee was in all probability a strain of a ligament or muscle /tendon (the rest has helped)
2) The fractured toe caused a limp and you overcompensated on an already injured leg which could have caused a plantar fasciitis which would account for the heel pain (and can be referred into the toe, or the toe could be a sesemoiditis. If the colchecine hasnt helped it probably isnt gout although a blood test may well be in order
This is all speculation as you really need a hands on exam
Please get to a Podiatrist, or a foot and ankle orthopod