Question
Posted by: jeni | 2007/06/26

PAIN AFTER OMENTECTOMY FOR OVARIAN CANCE

Hi doc,
I underwent surgery in march to remove a 13 x 9cm ovarian tumour which turned out to be malignant. They then took me back into surgery and removed the healthy ovary and the omentum. I have healed well,in the past two months, but suddenly developed a 'tearing, burning pain' in the area where the new scar crosses an old umbilical hernia scar. The pain is quite severe if I use my stomach muscles. I had to pay cash for all my surgery and really can't afford to keep running back to the doctor now.

Dear Jeni
It may be that the scar is pinching one of the superficial nerves in the abdominal wall. You will have to let your doctor have a look to see if it needs releasing or if they can treat it with anti-inflammatory or cortisone injection. One should also just exclude a hernia too. If it will be cheaper let your GP have a look first.